Korea’s Mobile Marketing Content Dominated Mostly By Google and Apple.

0

Korea’s Mobile Marketing Content Dominated Mostly By Google and Apple.

Recently done studies have show that the two global giants, Google and Apple, have been devouring Korea’s mobile content market while domestic proprietary content are losing their grounds.

Statistics.

According to information provided by the Korea Mobile Internet Business Association, the size of the previous year’s mobile content market was up to 2.433.65 billion won, in which Google play made up over 49.1 percent, or 1.18 trillion won, and Apple’s App store account for a total of 30.5 percent, which is approximately around 740 billion won. Google and Apple together hold a humongous 79.6 percent share of the total mobile content market.

Homegrown service such as the T-store of SK Planet, Olleh Market of KT, Uplus Store of LG Uplus, Samsung Apps of Samsung Electronics, LG smart World of LG Electronics and, Naver App store of Naver has accounted for only 12.4 percent of the current market in total. The association predicted that the market will amount to be about 3.19 trillion won at the end of this year, around 30 percent increase from the percent increase from last year’s , which means that Google and Apple will take home 2.5 trillion won from the market if the last year’s market share remains completely unchanged.

Reasons.

Given the market share of the Android operating system is around 93.4 percent within Korea, Google’s proposition in the content market is stated to grow even further as the time continues to go on. Analysts have suggested for several reason as to why competition seems unfair for the domestic application stores on Android-based devices.

First of all, in most Android devices Google Play Store already comes pre-installed in as the factory setting. Secondly, these devices are often do not allowed downloading and registering other app stores. Thirdly, the devices have restriction of  installing other applications other then there own application store. Fourth, they have made it exceedingly complicated to purchase for applications installed through other app stores. Lastly, the devices restrict automatic updates for applications downloaded from other app stores.

With these unfortunate unfair competition practices have accounted for an unpromising out look for the mobile software application market in Korea. Domestic application market service providers contented that the user’s right to choose services offered on the market must be violated and the diversity of market service must be encouraged.

An official in the industry said, “The user’s options have practically disappeared as the global giants that carry their own operating systems force consumers to use their own software products based on dominant market power.”

An app developer also said, “In the case of China that has started to lead the global Internet market recently has created a unique app store market where hundreds of domestic app download platforms are competing freely by not embedding Google Play in Android phones.”

Read Next:Baidu Has Announced A Proposed Debt Offering.

Like What Your Reading? Subscribe For A Free Monthly News And Event Update in Asia! Please Share!

Share.

About Author

Kevin C is passionate for tech world wide. He was apart of Qbox media and currently is apart of a UX firm based in Hong Kong.

Asia Tech Hub @Copyright 2014